Saturday, August 28, 2010

Two weeks later . . .

It is seriously hard to believe that our 'Little Dude' is over two weeks old already. He has already changed so much. Here are a few of the latest developments.

I am slightly biased, but he is incredibly handsome, isn't he?

* Justin had his two-week checkup with his pediatrician on Thursday. He tipped the scale at 8 pounds, 2 ounces. His doctor says they are happy when babies have simply regained their birthweight by two weeks - let alone gain over a pound! He has also gained half an inch in length! His head is a little smaller than most babies his age, but is nothing to be worried about - and I feel sorry for the 90% of women who have to deliver babies with larger heads.

* Justin has gotten a few baths now, and doesn't seem to hate them. He does shiver a little bit and make noise (see next point), but does not scream.

* Justin makes a 'clicky' noise that sounds like a cross between a giggle and morse code. It's pretty cute.

* Justin seems to enjoy his swing, though he has only been in twice and for a few minutes each time (can we say paranoid mom?).

Seriously, mom, I'm fine.

* Justin has been spending more and more time awake, with his handsome dark blue eyes open, each day. He seems to be focusing a little more, and just stared at me for a few minutes today.

* He is gaining strength quickly, and already is able to pick/hold up his head for a few seconds. He can also hold his arms/legs in a frog position that is quite difficult to get him out of.

* His hair is already lightening, which is not surprising as both Baby Daddy and I had near white-blonde hair when we were little.

* Justin's sleeping has been sporadic. For awhile he was doing great, waking up every three hours at night, giving me 2-3 wonderful 2.5 hour sleep sessions a night. Last night, however, he was awake and fussy from 11-2:30. I'm pretty sure there is no worse feeling than hearing your baby cry and not being able to calm him. Baby Daddy and I took turns rocking, shushing, changing, feeding, walking, etc. and finally got him to fall asleep a little before 3:00. He seemed to be having some gas trouble as he would act incredibly hungry, but only eat (and eat like a teenage boy after two-a-day football practice) for 20-30 seconds, then cry again, then repeat. Either he was taking in so much that he was slightly choking, or gulping large amounts of air that he was having trouble getting out.

* Justin has been pretty consistent when it comes to eating (barring the few instances like last night). He sleeps, he wakes up and starts trying to eat his hand/whoever is holding him, we change him, I feed him, and the cycle repeats. Sometimes I feel like a buffet more than a mom, but as he's put on a pound and has 'breastfeeding blisters' (dry skin on his lips that his pediatrician was actually happy to see), we must be doing something right. I was warned before Justin was born by other new moms that breastfeeding is not as intuitive/easy/romantic as the propaganda makes it sound, and oh my were they right. We took a class (yes, I made Mitchell go) and I met with a lactation consultant after he was born, and it's still difficult at times. It would be wonderful if others could help feed him and I could catch up on some sleep, or if I wouldn't think that buying stock in breastpads would be a fabulous idea, or if I wouldn't be in engorgement-like pain multiple times a day. However, I know it is best for him and hope to continue for awhile. In another week or two he can start taking expressed milk in a bottle, so that could be a slight help.

* Just as he is consistent with eating, he is consistent with filling his diapers. He is rarely silent, which is really a nice notice for us that he needs to be changed. It makes a really awesome impression when someone is cooing over his adorableness and he lets one rip. (I say he gets this from his father, but his father says the same about me ;) )

* Justin made his first trip to Grandma and Grandpa W's last night as he had his newborn pictures taken this morning. Yes, I know the last post said something different. Long story short, I had someone selected to take photos, and had a date set for the Friday after he was born. The photographer is pregnant, and was having problems on that day, so we rescheduled, and after two more complications and reschedules, we frantically looked for someone else. We should have some photos soon!

Grandma W came to visit for a day and help me get some rest/a few things done. Doesn't 'helping' look difficult?

And for an Izzers update:

* Izzers has not gotten as jealous or depressed as we thought she would. If Justin stirs, she will run to his crib/pack n play, but won't bark. She spends most of her time either quite close to him/us, or in a different room entirely.

* She does get a little stressed when he cries for a long time. Last night she kept jumping off the bed and hiding under it.

Her typical, preferred distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment