Monday, May 24, 2010

Third Trimester Update

I officially entered the third trimester a week and a half ago, and for the first time in my pregnancy, I am beginning to feel a little uncomfortable. (This is where I hide from every pregnant woman who experienced morning sickness shooting me dirty looks) No, I am not waddling. Nor am I exhausted by 8 pm or experiencing swelling (yet). Nor has my center of balance shifted so that heels are a problem to walk in (I actually wore them this weekend!). It's little things I am noticing. For instance, I spend thirty seconds deciding whether it is worth the effort to pick up something from the floor. Putting on socks is an issue unless I am sitting down, and painting my toenails has become a trial, with an ottoman necessary for balance (Baby Daddy thought that was hilarious). I would say the biggest change has been in my sleeping patterns. Ask my husband, or parents, or friends, or anyone who knows my well, and they'll tell you that I like to sleep, and can do so very deeply. Before I became pregnant, it was not uncommon for me to sleep until 11 on the weekends. Now, I rarely sleep past 8:30. I usually wake up a couple times in the middle of the night to switch sides - which is quite an experience as Baby Hunt settles to the lower side, and it takes a little while for him to switch to the other side. Either way, I have now discovered that weekend mornings are wonderful! You can accomplish so much more with those extra hours, even if all that is 'accomplished' is lying on the couch with a cute puppy watching television.

In other news, the glucose test for gestational diabetes went wonderfully. I was told that 'no news is good news', and as I have yet to hear anything, I assume I passed. Baby Hunt is as active as ever, and Baby Daddy has been able to feel him, and see him, move for a few weeks now. My tummy is definitely growing, but has yet to get any stares or awkward comments/tummy touches (Thank God).

I have been trying to think lately of changes that pregnancy has brought to myself, and our little family. In terms of personal habits, or the 'shouldn'ts' of pregnancy, not much has changed for me. I have cut back on my sugar intake, and try to eat less artificial foods. Despite what Baby Daddy will make you think, giving up the two glasses of wine I had a week has not been a problem. I think before I take a medication, which has been quite rare in the past seven months. I did not smoke, or drink pop before becoming pregnant, but I did have the occasional latte, and that consumption has been greatly reduced.

In terms of other habits, I have noticed that our perceptions on nearly everything have changed. From looking at the safety/storage capabilities of nearly everything we purchase, to the things we 'should have done' awhile ago - finding a family doctor in the area, choosing/attending/registering with a church, etc. - being done, we have kept ourselves quite busy in the past few months.

This week marks week 30 of Baby Hunt's uterine stay, and we're excited to have only 10 weeks left (please God, ten weeks - only ten weeks). I can't say that I 'feel like a mom' yet - I know it happens to many women as soon as they become pregnant, others not until after the baby is a couple months old. It still seems a bit foreign to me, but I am sure that his arrival will make it all real, if not before then. We start preparation classes at the hospital this week. And I'll get an updated picture soon for all you tummy watchers. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment