
I am sure I've admitted here that I am a horrible person. I am going to do it again. I have, in the past, at times, had a bad attitude when it comes to families in 'crowded' situations. It annoys me when mothers or fathers park their bulky strollers in aisles while looking around at a store, or when two parents walk side by side down an aisle taking over the entire space. I believe having a baby does not entitle a parent to be rude, and that the cuteness of a baby does not atone for the grievance. Seriously, the baby could be the spitting image of Colin Firth and I would still only sort-of-weakly smile at it. Because of this, I have serious feelings about strollers. I said that I was not going to be one of those moms with the entirely-too-large-for-the-baby stroller (no, this has nothing to do with the fact that I am weak and not toned and lifting one of those things would be a pain), and I will not be. Travel systems have been refused, and we are going to attempt not having a stroller until the spring. We know, we know - moms and dads everywhere are laughing at us. We could not think of many times when we would need an infant to be in a stroller. We do not plan on taking Baby Hunt out much when he is really little, nor for walks outside during the winter. The only times we could think of would be when shopping - and we figure the carseat should fit into the bottom of a basket in some instances. And for the few times when that is unacceptable - enter Baby Bjorn. (oh yes, yes, we're going to be Baby wearers - feel free to laugh at us again). We are hoping to last until the spring when Baby Hunt is old enough to use a smaller stroller, and until we know what we will 'need' in a stroller - i.e. a jogging stroller, an umbrella stroller, etc. (we do reserve the right to completely eat our words later :) ).
In other news, babies come with a lot of stuff. A LOT of stuff. After the initial 'honeymoon phase' of learning I was pregnant (though much of that feeling is still around), we started to look into what we needed to purchase for Baby Hunt's arrival. We knew of the major things - crib, carseat, clothes, diapers, etc. - but what we were unaware of was the amount of products that are pushed on parents, especially first-timers such as us, as 'necessary', 'life-savers', or 'not needed, but nice'. I asked a few friends with young children what they thought were really life-savers, and what was a waste of money. On the top of the waste list - wipe warmers. This one made me go - seriously? Heaven help me if I ever raise a child that needs his poop-rags to be heated to touch his skin.
We used that, and our own lifestyle evaluation - which we found to be mostly lazy, moderate, and relaxed - to come up with a list. Once the list was made, I officially became crazy safety-mama, and husband-annoyer, looking up product recalls, brand recommendations, parent reviews, safety requirements and ratings to narrow down specific items. We've been whittling away at the list over the past few months. I have to admit - everytime a baby item appears on our doorstep I get a little more giddy, and Baby Daddy gets a little more relaxed as I freak out less.

Since everyone loves miniature things, especially anything made for a baby, here's a peek into Baby Hunt's stash.
Izzers models our carseat of choice, and Baby Hunt's diaper bag - our newest purchase. Sadly, Miss KateSpade disappointed me (but not Baby Daddy or our checkbook) on our trip to Chicago. Enter PotteryBarnKids tote, complete with monogrammed 'H' - the only letter we chose since a name will not be picked until Baby Hunt arrives.
Baby clothes are probably the most fun items in the entire world to shop for (okay, besides diamonds, chocolate, and wine). Here's a peak into Baby Hunt's wardrobe.
No comments:
Post a Comment