Monday, May 17, 2010

Back to reality . . .

Long time, no post. This is going to be a random post about this weekend's events, or as we were lovingly calling it, Babypalooza 2010. While there is no A list headliner at Babypalooza (Lady Gaga didn't return our calls. . . ) we still have quite the set list. So sit back, and enjoy. There are even a few pictures . . .

Thursday

We left on Thursday for Chicago, dropping Izzers off at the grandparents for the weekend. At home, Izzers will bark at every little noise she hears - and doesn't hear - and we were worried that every time Baby Hunt cries she would be set off (I do hear babies cry often). However, she passed the test as she hardly made a noise when 3-week old Annabanana stirred. We stopped in Dubuque at the Gap, hoping there would be some semblance of maternity clothing - nope, nada, none - only an empire dress with a neckline that would make a prostitute blush. Off we went to Chicago, with me taking only a short, hour-long nap on the way (this is really an improvement). After checking into our hotel and seeing our tiny room, we had dinner with a friend and retired for the evening.

Friday

Friday's agenda had three major items: Field Museum, Cubs game, and dinner with two of Baby Momma's sorority sisters and their gentlemen.

Here's our little family in front of the Field Museum.

In the spirit of having a child, let's play 'One of these things is not like the other' - the Field Museum was exactly as we expected - nerdy, and dinner was fabulous. The Cubs game, however, left much to be desired. Don't get me wrong - the atmosphere of Wrigleyville was lovely, and who doesn't love watching a baseball game (Baby Daddy even tried to teach me how to work a score card) - but two things made the afternoon not so pleasant. The first - the Cubs lost. Big Z gave up a three-run homer to lose the game and we have yet to see the Cubs win at Wrigley. The other - well, actually it was two other- things, were two of the most obnoxious, annoying, juvenile twenty-something twats (pardon my word choice, but it really is appropriate) I have sat near at a sporting event. They sat right in front of us, were wearing tank tops and jeans that did not provide adequate coverage of their behinds when standing up* (which they did more than was necessary), yelled at every little thing, swore often, and sang 'Go Cubs Go' in the fifth inning (which is obviously why the Cubs lost). Oh, and did I mention that one was wearing a tiara? A freaking tiara in Wrigley Field - I'm pretty sure Harry Caray rolled over in his grave. Between them and the ladies sitting to my left who felt the need to get up five times - yes, FIVE TIMES - during the game - I nearly lost it. I am seven months pregnant and I didn't need to get up during the game. And seriously, let's be honest here - I now look quite pregnant, no longer just pudgy, no longer questionably pregnant, now obviously pregnant. Instead of making the pregnant lady get out of her chair FIVE TIMES, perhaps exit the other side, which was the same length as the exit they chose right in front of me. Here's my impression of them all:

Saturday

We awoke early on Saturday, returned our suitcase to our car, and headed to Michigan Avenue for some shopping. Let me tell you how amazing it is to find a store, besides Target and Old Navy, that actually carries maternity clothes. I was able to find a few pieces to get me through the summer, and we may have found a few items for Baby Hunt as well . . . maybe ;) We did a little searching for a handbag/diaper bag, but I was not impressed with anything I saw - Macy's and Nordstrom were highly disappointing. Off to IKEA we went - more on this later - then a stop at Giordano's for some fabulous Chicago Style pizza on the way home.

Sunday/Monday

We both took Monday off as we each had an appointment - Baby Daddy with a physician who is now our family physician, and Baby Hunt's doctor (one more thing to cross off the list), and my 28 week appointment with my OB. My appointment went wonderfully, considering how nervous I was to complete the Glucose Challenge Test. The drink was not bad, and I felt completely normal after drinking it. Honey is sooooo much worse. I am measuring right at 28 weeks, my bloodpressure is 110/60, and Baby Hunt's heartbeat is 148bpm. I have now graduated to biweekly appointments. The doctor thinks he is already in position for delivery, which explains why I've been feeling the little ninja move like crazy this past week. He is either practicing karate or breakdancing, I cannot discern. All in all, everything continues to go perfectly well, and we're increasingly thankful for that as the waiting time gets shorter - only 11.5 more weeks!

As mentioned earlier, we did a little other shopping this weekend. Baby Hunt got his first Cubs' onesie, and Izzers her first Cubs bandana. In addition to a few items of clothing for each of us, we picked up a new end table from IKEA and an ottoman from Target. It doesn't seem like much, but it is fun to see 'our' purchases slowly transform where we live into more of a home. Before Christmas, all of the furniture we had was old, and we were very grateful that we were able to borrow it all until we could get our own. Each little piece we get contributes to our 'home' (even though we don't own it), and subsequently to our little family. Even though it is not elegant, it works fabulously for us. More is still needed, but we'll fill in when we can.

Izzers showing off her vocal cords for you all.

That was very long winded and random. We both head back to work tomorrow, and neither of us is particularly looking forward to it. We hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

* Let's just say the dime slots could handle silver dollars. . . (Baby Daddy)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome weekend aside from the cubs game... but as I've reiterated to you many a time, you are cubs fans, so you should be expecting a bad outing anytime you attend a game, watch one on tv, or do anything to support that loser-franchise. That being said... glad to hear the baby is doing well :) T.J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you just may respond to this. You'd love my uncles - they're huge Cardinals fans!

    ReplyDelete