Sunday, February 28, 2010

Breaking the News

Other possible title: 'The Preggo Reveal'

I discovered I was pregnant the first Saturday in December. After quickly filling in Baby Daddy (I'll let him tell you that story if he wishes) and snapping a picture of the evidence - why positive pee sticks scream "TAKE A PICTURE OF ME", I don't know, but they do, loudly - we celebrated by, what else, eating (and eating something that I didn't have to cook).

First on the baby agenda - who to tell? when to tell? how to tell? We agreed to tell just a few very close friends who could offer some advice to newly expecting parents. Fifteen "shut ups" and "are you freaking kidding me?s" later, we had some advice and an initial plan. Mitchell consulted a few coworkers who were either expecting or new parents, and I contacted a recommended OB. I won't lie - I decided between the two recommendations based on their pictures. They both came very highly recommended - and I threw out the male because he looked creepy on his office webpage. Seriously, what woman wants a creepy man poking around down there? So far we've been impressed with the OB I chose.

Many of you may not know this, but Mitchell and I can be superstitious at times. (Mitchell more so, but I have been known to cross my fingers during the fourth quarter of a close Hawkeye game - yes, you can thank me for that Michigan State defeat :) ). We decided to wait awhile, ensure everything proceeded smoothly, tell our immediate families at Christmas, and then let word spread after my first 'real' appointment on January 19. We refused to talk about possible names until we heard a heartbeat.

It was difficult to go through all of the family holidays trying to not lie outright:

"So Mitch, what's new? "Oh, not much. . . " (lie).

"So Bon, it's about time for a baby isn't it?" "Ha! Keep dreaming" (little sort-of lie)

We managed to get through those to Christmas day, and were able to share the news with the future grandparents, aunts, and uncles. We wrapped a present for each of our families and hid them under the tree with just "Open Last' written on them.

Mitchell's mother opened the Hunt present . . .



. . . and let out a happy scream. We have some very excited future aunts and grandfather as well.

At my families' Christmas, my father opened the gifts . . .



(The first grandchild of 2010 is due in April)



. . . looked at us, and said, "Seriously?". Apparantly we had fooled him into thinking it really would be 2012 before Baby Hunt would arrive.

After our first appointment went well, we let news spread to family and more friends. Now, I'm pretty sure every single person in the town of Edgewood knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment