So Bonnie and I have been talking about names for Baby Hunt. We've actually have been talking about names for our children since before we were married. The typical conversation would go something along these lines:
Bonnie: 'What do you think of the name Jack?'
Me: 'Jack Hunt? Say that really fast out loud."
Yes, a good portion of the names Bonnie throws out there I look at like I was still in elementary school or junior high (I'm sure you all think I can do a great job at that) and try to make fun of. Little kids and teens find plenty of ways to tease each other, so I don't want to be the guy that names his boy Sue. Because of this and the fact that our children will be asked about their 'Uncle Mike' by the time they are in junior high, Bonnie and I decided we were going to use some guidelines to help us decide out name 'finalists. . .'
-No names that end with a 'ka' sound
-Try and make it difficult for adolescent minds to mock (If I can mock it in <30 seconds, it's a no go)
-No names that are 'Top 10' popular right now.
-No 'pot smoking hippie' names (i.e. Apple, Rainbow Sunshine, etc.)
-Names have to work with the middle names we've chosen.
With this, we currently have 8-10 first names for each gender listed, and as time passes by, one of us will update on which names we've eliminated. So stay tuned ;)
P. S. What are the middle names? Glad you asked ;)
If we have a boy, the middle name will be Mitchell. Yes I am being that guy.
If it's a girl, the middle name will be Rose, after Bonnie's 'adopted' grandparents.
Oh please dear. 30 seconds is quite generous - how about 10 seconds for your mind?
ReplyDeleteOne more - no 'odd' spellings. Giving a child a common name but a different spelling does not make it 'unique'. It simply makes it a pain to spell to every person who asks for it.
ReplyDelete