
Our Little Dude turned two months old this Tuesday and we're amazed at the changes we've noticed in him lately.
* Physically, he has grown quite a bit, as we expected. He is well on his way to becoming a Hawkeye Linebacker. Here are the current stats:
Weight: 12 lbs. 12 oz. (75th %)
Height: 23.75 in. (75th %)
* Justin is quite the eater. He is eating 3-4 ounces every 2-3 hours during the day. We had issues with a forceful letdown that made breastfeeding very frustrating for both Justin and I. I read over and over how breastfeeding was supposed to be a major bonding time between mom and baby, and had this idea that breastfeeding would make me more of a mom. After trying a few things to ease the letdown, and many sessions ended in tears or Baby Daddy intervening, we decided to try bottlefeeding. Justin no longer cries during feedings, and this has enabled Mitchell to feed him as well. Justin still gets breastmilk, which is important to me, and gets some formula as well since I am unable to pump as much as I would need to at work to keep up with his appetite. Our family has been happier since the switch, though our pockets are a little lighter.
* Within the past week, Justin has begun sleeping 6 hours at night. I had no idea I would ever be so excited to see 5:00 on the clock as I was the morning I realized the last time I looked at the clock was at 11:00.
* Justin is now starting to wear his 3-6 month clothes. I am looking forward to bringing them all out this weekend. He is also moving into size 2 diapers.
* He has the most handsome smile, and will coo when you coo back at him. He loves to lay on his Baby Einstein Playmat and stare at himself in the mirror. He loves to just 'kick it out' and flail his limbs lying on his back. He has also begun to notice the lights and toys on his bouncy and mobile.
* Justin likes bathtime. Actually, he has only cried during one bath since he was born. This is really the only time he tries to pee on us.
* He has a bit of colic some nights due to gas and stomach cramping. It is horrible to hear him cry when there isn't much we can do to help him. Justin's pediatrician has said that the formula we give him is what they recommend for gassiness, and I have tried cutting out irritating foods from my diet, but it hasn't seemed to help much. Unfortunately, his doctor attributes it to an immature digestive system that he just needs to grow out of.
* Justin still looks like his Daddy, as everyone reminds us of. Fortunately, I happen to find them to be both very handsome - I am a lucky girl :)
* He is almost finished with his first two weeks at daycare. I still hate to leave him in the mornings.
* Justin has watched every Hawkeye game this season.
Happy two month birthday Justin! We're looking forward to our third month with you and have some wonderful things planned - your baptism and Halloween (with an adorable little costume) among others. Thank you for bringing so much joy into our lives :)
Congrats on doing a great job. Macie and I hated all the literature/ specialists that give moms the idea that if they aren't doing entirely breastmilk for 6 months to a year then they aren't fit moms. We all were much happier after the switch to formula so don't let it get you down. Although topher is slightly less genius now so he'll probably have to go to Iowa or some equivalent community college after not getting into Mizzou. Kidding, I would never wish that on Topher :) TJ
ReplyDelete