Monday, October 25, 2010

Baptism


Justin was baptized this past Sunday and by far the most important thing I learned from the day is that while knit dresses are wonderful for showing off baby bumps, they are not so fabulous for postpartum tummies. Yeah - this is why we're purchasing exercise equipment this week, revising our menus, and taking only properly staged photos until I feel like I no longer look like I'm pregnant.

Justin's baptism went off without a hitch, though we were convinced he had filled his diaper in the middle of the ceremony. We opted to do the baptism outside of mass, and Justin was one of four baptized this Sunday. When choosing a church to attend in town, we sided with the more traditional church. There is a contemporary, college oriented church in town, but it was further away, and a little too 'touchy feely, happy' for my tastes, thus traditional baptism for us. While I may not always agree with the Catholic Church (and some days agree with little of it), it was important to me, and Baby Daddy, that Justin be raised as we were. We both believe that the upbringing we received in the church molded parts of who we are, and since we will be raising him, we will certainly try to teach him to be critical and think for himself, that he need not believe everything, but that he believe in something good. Not a single baby made a peep when the water and 'Oil of Salvation' (which looked and smelled strangely like spiced olive oil to me) were put on their heads.

Woo-hoo Bath Time!!

. . . with the Godmamas

Alright, there was a minor hitch - and I call it 'Mullet lady'. Baby Daddy, myself, and Justin's godparents were standing around the fountain, when someone brushed me, pointed to a family across the fountain and says, 'I need to get a picture', steps slightly in front, and to the side of me, completely in front of the godparents, takes a picture, and JUST STAYS THERE. No, really lady, it's your day, please don't let me get in your way.

Here she is, in the yellow shirt, planning her sneak attack

We were lucky that Justin's Grandma H saved the baptism outfit worn by Mitchell and offered it to us for Justin's baptism. He looked oh-so-adorable. Or, at least as adorable as a little boy can be in a baptism outfit. And, hey - at least we didn't put him in a dress like the other parents.

Sorry ladies, he is not available for dates until he is at least 25 years old . . .

After the baptism, we returned to our home for lunch (made by me at 9 pm the evening before) and pictures. Luckily, the smell of fried onions and bacon from making German Potato Salad at 11 pm had left the house and everything went smoothly for our first bifamilial gathering.

Why is it a tradition to take pictures of cakes? I swear I have one from every big event in my life.

Family W Four Generations

Family V Four Generations

Family H Four Generations

Baby Daddy's Family

My family

Justin crying because he was forced into an International onesie . . .
just kidding . . . they would say the same about a JD onesie ;)

Mullet lady strikes again !! (Seriously, see how I'm turned in to avoid her path??)

No comments:

Post a Comment