Tuesday, August 30, 2011

P. a . r . t . . . why? Because Justin is 1!

Justin's first birthday party was a huge success. Granted, it took me over 8 hours to make cupcakes and frosting - our definition of 'success' is a little different than the average bear family's. And Justin has been a bear lately :/ A grizzly cub, in fact. Anyway - back to the topic at hand: The First Birthday Party. Many people say they are more for the parents than the baby, and I completely agree. I would've called it a "Hey, We Survived Our First Year as Parents" party, but that would've been tacky. 

The theme was 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar". The invitations (totally outsourced) were sent out in advance, and Tank was excited for the big day. Mama and Dada, on the other hand, were exhausted from all of the work in the week leading up to the party. Nah, we were pretty darn excited too. 

We worked hard to get the living room (you know, THE room we had done anything to since moving into this house) ready to go and decorated. Dada spent the day before your party chopping off half an inch of the large shelf holding the tv - as it turns out the shelves on the right are about an inch smaller than the ones on the left - which you really can't tell until you try to put them in there. Oh well; Nothing a borrowed saw, four hours, and lots of swearing couldn't fix ;)



Justin's monthly pictures were on display anchored in pails full of candy meant to go home with guests, but were forgotten (at least that is what Baby Daddy told me). 


Even Izzers got in the spirit. 

The food was (mostly) based on the book. There was fruit salad and apple-pear-snicker salad, brats and burgers with fixings, deviled eggs, and cupcakes. The drinks were cleverly labeled, if I do say so myself; juice boxes and water bottles labeled 'Caterpillars' and adult beverages labeled 'Butterflies Only'. 


The cupcakes - no, the Damn Cupcakes. In the weeks before the party, I debated as to whether I should spend the money to have the gourmet cupcakery in town make them, or whether I should make them myself. Ultimately I decided that it just wasn't worth the $70 it would cost to buy them. So I made them myself. Eight hours, three trips to the store, two ruined batches of frosting, one ruined smash cake, and a drink later, they were done!! I already have someone lined up to make them for his next birthday party - seriously. And if that person fails me in a year, I have absolutely no qualms spending $70 on cupcakes. 

People - We are very lucky that so many of our guests could make it and we are all glad that you came :)

The Rundown:

First things first: The Family Picture



This makes the third or fourth family photo we have :) 

After some mingling, grilling, and foodening (that's 'eating' in non-Mitch speak), it was time for a good old fashioned cake smashing . . . and Justin did not disappoint. After singing 'Happy Birthday', he dug right in. 






 Then, after the rest of us scarfed our cupcakes, it was time for gifts. Justin helped pull a few strings and was very enthusiastic to play with his gifts, or at least the boxes. 


Whassat Mama?

Just what I've always wanted - A HANGER!!


A bathtub hoop. The first time we put this in the tub he would not turn away from it - he spent the entire bath sitting (WHICH DOES NOT HAPPEN), looking at it, with his back to us. He has since gotten over sitting. 


 Every kid gets a Harley for his first birthday, right?? No, just mine? ok!


He loves to push the buttons until the rock music comes on - then he dances. He does not get the dancing from me, either. I know, you are all surprised on that one. 


Justin's Toy Garage - or part of it, complete with a Little People Car Race Ramp, Little People Farm (He likes to carry around the sheep?!?), Farm Tractor, and Ball Popper. 

It is a good thing these parties only happen once a year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment